She did it, y’all! Serena Williams made history!
Winning a record-setting 23rd Grand Slam singles tennis title at the Austrailian Open Saturday against her big sister Venus Williams, Serena is officially the greatest major titles champion in the Open era, which started in 1968.
To sweeten the pot even more, after taking down her biggest motivator/rival/confidante in a thrilling 6-4 6-4 nail-biter of a match, Serena also regained her #1 ranking after the win.
Make no mistake, Serena Williams is the GREATEST ATHLETE EVER, and if you have a problem with that statement:
But, we’re all about spreading love here at The Sportstyle. So in honor of Queen Serena’s triumphant victory, here are our top 23 reasons why we think Serena is the greatest:
1. For proudly supporting the #BlackLivesMatter movement
“I’m a Black woman, and I am in a sport that wasn’t really meant for Black people,” she said. “So to those of you involved in equality movements like Black Lives Matter, I say this: Keep it up. Don’t let those trolls stop you…. To other people, I say: When someone’s harassing someone else, speak up!”
2. For wearing her hair natural
3. For slaying The David Letterman Show in this red number
4. The way she loves and supports her sister Venus
5. For always representing the city of Compton
I'll never forget the moment when I first fell in love with tennis . Back when I was just this little girl in Compton I already knew that I would love the sport for the rest of my life. And that little girl is still with me. Pushing and inspiring me in every match, every practice, every minute of every day. How about you? When did you fall in love with your sport? Share that moment with me and the world by posting a picture using the hash tag #LoveOfSports and tagging @Gatorade And see the video in my bio!!
6. ‘Cause she ain’t ‘Sorry’
8. For speaking out on the pay disparity for women in sports
Williams: These sports have a lot of work to do. And I really hope that I can be helpful in that journey because I do believe that women deserve the same pay. We work just as hard as men do. I’ve been working, playing tennis, since I was three years old. And to be paid less just because of my sex—it doesn’t seem fair. Will I have to explain to my daughter that her brother is gonna make more money doing the exact same job because he’s a man? If they both played sports since they were three years old, they both worked just as hard, but because he’s a boy, they’re gonna give him more money? Like, how am I gonna explain that to her? In tennis we’ve had great pioneers that paved the way—including Venus, who fought so hard for Wimbledon to pay women the same prize money they pay men, and Billie Jean King, who is one of the main reasons Title IX exists.
9. Her tennis fashion
10. For briefly making these two lose their minds over their shared affection for her (she’s currently engaged with a new boo)
11. For building schools for girls
12. For being a foodie who indulges in her favorite foods every once in a while
BONUS: Look who the donut plug is 😉
13. For dancing like no one’s watching
Sometimes we are all so serious and we forget to have fun – and I know that’s me a lot of the time, but it’s so important to have passions in your life that are just for you. I’m so disciplined every day with my training, but when I dance it’s about letting myself go. What do you do for you? #DoItForYourself @berleiaus @berleiusa
14. Who else slides into a split after a rally
16. For demanding “RESPECK” on her game
18. For boycotting Indian Wells 14 years over racist treatment, and when she returned, clapping back at former CEO Raymond Moore’s tasteless, sexist remarks about how WTA players should “go down on their knees” to thank Federer and Nadal for carrying tennis
20. ‘Cause she’s #BodyGoals
21. Because other sports greats pay homage
— ESPNTennis (@ESPNTennis) January 28, 2017
— Kobe Bryant (@kobebryant) January 28, 2017
22. She crashes other people’s weddings
23. For rising above all the downright nasty and unfair treatment she and Venus endured, for reasons outside of their play, and silencing the naysayers
What are your reasons for loving Serena?
Photos: People.com, Style Frizz, Serena’s Instagram, Giphy, YouTube, Glamour, AP, Sports Illustrated, Global Grind, Self, Huffington Post, ESPNTennis Twitter, Kobe Bryant Twitter, Saraya Tennis Twitter, USA Today, ESPN